15 December 2007

Creating a slideshow

Moviemaker logoWindows MovieMaker

Still, reading the post got me motivated enough to post something I have been meaning to comment on for a while - Microsoft Movie Maker. I know. A Microsoft app! And there’s me a confirmed macademic and everything. But stick with me.

In the UK most large organizations rely on a Windows base for their IT provision and whilst things like Soundslides and flash are available for all platforms I think it’s a shame to ignore this little app, especially as it comes for free.

It will import a number of formats:

  • Video files: .asf, .avi, .wmv
  • Movie files: MPEG1, .mpeg, .mpg, .m1v, .mp2
  • Audio files: .wav, .snd, .au, .aif, .aifc, .aiff
  • Windows Media files: .asf, .wm, .wma, .wmv
  • Still images: .bmp, .jpg, .jpeg, .jpe, .jfif, .gif
  • MP3 format audio: .mp3

MovieMaker only outputs WMV and AVI files which some see as a limitation but file conversion is a fact of life these days. . You can if you wish output to a ‘full-res’ DV-AVI file which will run through any conversion app to make it QuickTime. (Rivavx is just one of them) That’s a process you would follow anyway if you where working on the output of an edit suite so I don’t see that as too much of a downside.

I’m not doing a hard sell here. I know it isn’t going to be the right solution for everyone.But it seems to me that there is a flexible, free and relatively easy to use package sitting on your machine. Why not give it a try.

Here are a few flash movies that outline the start of creating a sound/image slideshow with moviemaker.

No comments: