17 December 2007

How to draw a banner (scroll)

Wrapping scrolls around illustrations or images are quite popular designers little trick these days. I'll show you how to draw a scroll "easy way".

Step 1

Assuming that you know how the scroll (banner) looks like, draw just one half of it (start left or right from the center). I am using the Wacom tablet and usually I use the "Pen tool", but I think that drawing with the "Path tool" is easier for those of you who use a mouse.

Step 2
You can modify the shape as you wish, just keep in mind that you have to draw a folded part on the side.

Step 3
Now draw the folded part, which will "fly on the wind".
Step 4
The folded part of the banner must be placed just bellow the main part, now you have to follow the path between the main part and the folded part and draw another folded part between them.

Step 5
That connection should look like this:

Step 6
Now copy+paste these three parts, and mirror them horizontally. Join middle anchors and the banner is finished. Color them as you wish. Add some cracks and you'll get the "old-world" style.

I'm using banners (scrolls) in my "emblem" designs

No comments: